If you want in-depth help, you can make an appointment with us. Librarians will help you find or narrow a paper topic, locate appropriate sources, and cite your sources correctly. If you need help with Microsoft Office or Blackboard, make sure to schedule time with our Technology Specialists.Make an Appointment
Try our Ask a Librarian serviceAsk A Librarian
Our 24/7 chat service connects you with a librarian even when we're off duty.
(Please provide your email address.)Chat 24/7
APA style papers require a "running head" at the top of each page.
To create this header using Microsoft Word, follow the directions below:
1. Begin on the title page of your paper.
2. Click on the Insert tab.
3. Click on Page Number near the top left of the screen, hover over Top of Page and click on Plain Number 3.
4. Put your cursor to the left of the page number and type your title in ALL CAPS.
5. Hit the Tab key twice to move the paper title to the left side of the page.
6. Click on the Design tab and and check the box for Different First Page.
7. The header on the title page should be blank now. Type Running head: YOUR TITLE IN ALL CAPS.