Peer Tutoring Policies
Thank you for utilizing Peer Tutoring. We want to help you succeed at Thomas Nelson Community College. Therefore, it is important that you keep your appointments and arrive on time. We understand emergencies and unexpected changes, but please be considerate of fellow students who may be able to use the tutoring slot if you cannot keep it.
Please call 825-2804 to cancel an appointment.
Tutorial assistance is available only for students currently enrolled in the TNCC course in which they are requesting help.
The mission of Peer Tutoring is to support student mastery of course material through interaction with peer tutors.
Guidelines for Tutoring Sessions
To gain the most from your tutoring sessions, please read and follow the guidelines below:
- Tutoring is not a substitute for class attendance and lab attendance.
- Please be on time for tutoring sessions. If you are unable to make a session or know you will be late, call to reschedule. (Students who are tardy 15 minutes may have to reschedule their appointment).
- Come to your tutoring sessions prepared. Bring textbooks, class notes, assignments, paper, pencils and old tests, when applicable.
- Tutors will not do your work for you (i.e. write papers, do projects, or complete homework). The tutor’s responsibility is to assist you in gaining understanding to complete your own work. Students’ work must be their own. Tutors may guide, ask questions, make suggestions, paraphrase, but may not write answers to homework questions or tests.
- When possible, come to the tutoring sessions with a specific, identifiable problem.
- If you are having problems with your tutor (i.e. scheduling, personality, etc.) please try to work it out with your tutor first. If this does not work, then ask the Tutor Zone Coordinator about assigning a different tutor.
- Focus on the subject and refrain from discussing personal problems. A tutor’s time is limited. If you have a personal problem and need help, please visit the Office of Student Success, Room 323, Hastings Hall.
- Please arrange for childcare during scheduled tutoring.
- Each student may have only one tutor per subject.
- Tutoring sessions are limited to two, non-consecutive one-hour sessions per week.
- The student must make appointments through the Tutor Zone Coordinator, and may not be guaranteed the same appointment time each week.
- Same day appointments are only possible if the requested tutor is in Peer Tutoring to verify his/her availability.
Students requesting accommodations or who have questions concerning these policies may contact Eve Walker, in Peer Tutoring, 825-2804.